Thursday, November 13, 2008

Raw/Vegan Marinated Greens


My mouth is watering just looking at this picture! I never thought I would not only like, but actually crave ‘kale’, that’s right kale. I worked at Burger King when I was a teenager and remember using kale to decorate the salad bar (yes BK used to have a salad bar) and I thought it was only good for was decoration! Needless to say I’ve come along way. I’ll share more of my story and how I got where I am today at another time. My daughter begs me to make this too! We eat this 3-5 times a week. Most of the recipes that I will be posting are ones that I have created or modified to make my own. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Enjoy!

Marinated Greens

(Serves 1-2 as a main dish or 4 as a side)

1 bunch of Kale (or combination of kale, mustard greens, spinach, swiss chard or collard greens) - remove thick stem and chop

1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 Lemon Juiced (I use a citrus press)

1 Garlic Crushed

1 t Sea Salt (or to taste)

4 Green Onions, finely chopped

1 Avocado, diced

Combine all ingredients, except avocado in a large bowl. Work with your hands until the greens are wilted, add avocado and serve. If you prefer, you can mush the avocado too, it’s a little messier though.

For a variety - add any of the following: sunflower seeds, finely chopped tomato, sprouts, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (natural alternative to soy sauce), fresh ginger and/or cayenne pepper.

Here is a link for nutritional benefits of kale:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=38

No comments: