Thursday, November 21, 2013

VEGAN Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup


VEGAN Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup






I'm very much a creator of habit, I tend to get in routine of eating the same things without much variation so I am trying to break that habit. I have recently tried rutabaga, turnips, butternut squash, parsnips, and some other fruits and veggies. I make them almost the same way but hey, it's a start, and I know what I like! If you haven't noticed, I'm super bad about blogging my recipes, it is not that I haven't made things, they just don't make it to the blog. sigh! You have a better chance of catching things on Instagram: wdjd4u. Often I throw something together thinking it won't be very good and it turns out amazing and I didn't track exactly what I put in or take any pictures. Okay enough rambling…

So butternut squash, it is one of the most common variety of the winter squash fruit, yes, it's a fruit! It is recognized as a large pear shaped golden yellow pumpkin fruit. Butternut squash has a low glycemic index and is moderately anti-inflammatory. It is also low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium and a good source of Vitamin E, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium and Magnesium and an excellent source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese.


This recipes is not raw, but I tried to keep as many raw ingredients as I could.


VEGAN Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup

(makes about 8 Cups, serves 4)

Ingredients:
4 Cups of cubed Butternut Squash (half of a medium sized squash)
4 Cups of filtered Water

Boil together until Butternut Squash is soft

Raw Ingredients:
1/2 Red Onion
1 1/2" Fresh Ginger Root (peeled)
3 Celery Stalks
1 T Curry Powder
4 T Nutritional Yeast
1 Cup of Fresh Coconut Milk (store bought or full fat should work as well)**
3 cloves of Fresh Garlic (not minced)
Sea Salt to taste

I threw all the Raw ingredients into my Vitamix and added the boiled Butternut Squash along with the water it was cooked into. Blended on high for approximately one minute and served.

Super easy and quick. It probably took 15-20 minutes total, including prep and cooking time.

**Fresh Coconut Milk - I used the coconut water and meat from one fresh young thai coconut and added some filtered water and blended in the Vitamix, which yielded about 4 cups of milk. It was a thinner consistency, for a thicker consistency add less  (or no) water.


No comments: